Minnesota’s oldest state park, Itasca State Park was established in 1891. Today, the park totals more than 32,000 beautiful acres which includes more than 100 lakes. Guests walk across the mighty Mississippi river as it starts its long, winding journey 2,552 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. Stand under the towering pines at Preacher’s Grove. Enjoy your visit at the Itasca Indian Cemetery or Wegmann’s Cabin, landmarks of centuries gone by. Camp under the stars, or you may opt to stay the night at the historic Douglas Lodge or cabins. Explore Wilderness Drive past the 2,000-acre Wilderness Sanctuary, which is one of Minnesota’s seven National Natural Landmarks.
Itasca Park is located on Highway 71 North of the Park Rapids resort area, just 30 minutes from West Crooked Lake Resort.
You can bike to Dorset by starting at one end of Park Rapids, from the other end of Walker, or from Akeley and Nevis in between. Many prefer to anchor in Dorset (where the trailhead is located), which has a multitude of fine restaurants, shops & fun. There is plenty of paved parking, toilets, picnic tables, water from a hand pump, and a playground to keep the kids amused while you rest on a bench.
ATV & OHM Trails
ATV riders enjoy hundreds of miles of trails in the Park Rapids Lakes Area, bringing them closer to nature’s beauty in remote areas others often don’t see. Local clubs maintain two primary trails in our area, which are connected with more miles of trails along county highways and byways.
Forest Riders ATV Trail, combination of state forest roads, county forest roads and township, county and state road rights-of-way. Located in Becker and Hubbard counties, the trails can be accessed starting at the Two Inlets Town Hall, 11 miles north of Park Rapids on US Hwy 71 and west on Hubbard County 41 to Becker County 46 then 3 miles to Two Inlets. For more information, contact Tim Eischens, Forest Riders ATV Club Trail Chairperson at: (218)732-5235.
Round River Drive ATV Trail, located in the Paul Bunyan State Forest and can be reached from state Hwy 64, 4.5 miles north of Akeley.
For more information on area ATV trails see: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv, http://www.atvam.org and at http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/chippewa/recreation/atv_trails
Martineau Trail, an OHM trail with two loops totaling 105 miles. The trail is located in the southern unit of the Paul Bunyan State Forest and can be reached from state Hwy 64, 5.5 miles north of Akeley. For more information see: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv
- Located at 3rd & Court in Park Rapids
- Hwy 34 in Akeley
- Menahga Area Historical Museum
- Located in Walker, MN at the Junction of Hwy 200 & 371 1-877-544-4879
- Located 10 minutes East of Bemidji 1-877-972-5223
- Located in Mahnomen, MN 1-800-453-7827
Friendly downtown Park Rapids is filled with unique shops & places to grab a beverage and a snack. Grocery shopping is easy & convenient with three large stores East, West and South of town. St Josephs Area Health Services and two local medical clinics are located on Pleasant Avenue. While browsing the shops on Main Street stop by our many local real estate agencies to find that perfect “up north” cabin or dream home. Tourism | Park Rapids Chamber | Park Rapids MN (parkrapids.com)
With nearly 40 years of tradition, Summerhill provides a memorable experience for all groups large or small. Shopping in Park Rapids, Minnesota has plenty to offer and at Summerhill we aim to provide something for everyone! Come enjoy:
- Retail shops offering: candy, women’s apparel, kids’ games & family activities, and much more!
- Comfortable dining experience
- Wine making kits
- Back 40 which offers a petting zoo, miniature excavators, family activities, athletic challenges and more.
LLT/LWP is a theater and public performance facility founded in 2002. Located 8 miles south of Park Rapids in Hubbard, Minnesota. For further information contact Mark L. Colbenson, Artistic Director, (218) 732-0099 or (218) 237-1984
- Mantrap Sporting Preserve
- Pheasants, Quail, Chukar Partridge & Turkeys. For reservations call 1 888 MN SHOOT or (218) 732-1650
Growers & bottlers of ten fine wines captured from our native fruits and berries that survive the northern winters. The crisp clean taste of rhubarb wine is the backbone for the unique blends of Forestedge Wines. The blends, including Summer Blush (strawberry rhubarb), Headwaters Classic Red (chokecherry rhubarb), raspberry rhubarb, and blueberry rhubarb combine fruit flavors to produce complex rich wines. Select varieties of wine are available weekly for testing. Open Tuesday through Sunday beginning Mother’s Day weekend. 35295 State Hwy 64 in Laporte, MN (218) 224-3535. Tours available.
Located in the northern Minnesota, Dorset boasts more restaurants per capita than anywhere else in the world. Dorset has a population of 22 people, and within the city limits there are four restaurants serving a variety of food including Italian, Mexican and Pizza. Dorset, MN | Facebook
- Antique Stop in Dorset
- Quality antiques & collectibles. Open 7 days a week. Phone (218) 732-0952
- Great Mexican food, drink & desert. Chimichangas, super tostada, super burrito, enchilada, Glenny’s house special. Mexican beer, margaritas and much more. Open daily at noon for lunch & dinner. Phone (218) 732-7624
- Woodstock North
- Gifts that include Navajo, Hopi & Zuni jewelry, gourmet foods, Mary Englebreit designs, home decor, Dorset shirts, wild rice, jams & jellies & more. Open daily in the summer 10am – 9pm. Phone (218) 732-8457
- Dorset Cafe
- Family dining & liquor featuring broasted chicken, steak & ribs. Take out available. Open daily year around. Phone (218) 732-4072
- Dorset General Store & LaPasta Italian Eatery
- Delicious pastas to tempt everyone. Full Italian menu, salads & sandwiches. Phone (218) 732-0275 Dorset General Store
- Dorset House Restaurant & Soda Fountain
- Fabulous homemade pizza, buffets, soups, sandwiches & burgers. Daily lunch specials. Try their homemade pies & ice cream delights. Open daily in the summer. Phone (218) 732-5556
- Front Porch Gifts & Treasures
- Unique handcrafted items from artists & craft people from across the United States.
- Sister Wolf Books
- Books for all. They also carry a fine assortment of cards, journals & other items. Open daily 10am – 9pm. Phone (218) 732-7565
Leech Lake Walleye Tournament! Located on the hottest walleye lake in Minnesota, this is a non-profit family event with proceeds going to area organizations. The response to the Leech Lake Walleye Tournament has been overwhelming. The positive feedback and response to this tournament has resulted in an increased field of 150 teams for 2010. Of course, this also means an increase in the payouts to the anglers and in our donations to the Family Safety Network, Faith In Action, Let’s Go Fishing and Northstar Sportsmens Club. http://www.leechlakewalleyetournament.com/
Golf in Walker
- Located 6 miles North on Hwy. 371 – P.O. Box 1027 (218) 547-4121
- Walker, MN 56484 (877) 881-GOLF (4653)
- The area’s new premier championship 18-hole golf course. Open to the public.
- P.O. Box 177 (218) 547-1712
- Walker, MN 56484 1-866-482-2465
- Beautiful, challenging 18 hole regulation golf course. Open to the public.
- PO Box 1606 (218) 547-2666
- Walker, MN 56484
- 9 hole course, rental clubs and carts. Snack Bar. Located 5 miles N Walker.
Golf in Park Rapids
Golfing in the Park Rapids Area offers a game for everyone. Whether you are an expert or a beginner you will be happy to play golf in the Park Rapids area!
- Brookside Golf Course (218) 732-4093
- Eagle View Golf Course Hwy 71 North in Park Rapids (218) 732-7102
- Evergreen Lodge Golf Course (218) 732-4766
- Fair Haven Golf Course Located between Menahga & Park Rapids (218) 732-0519
- Headwater Golf Club (218) 732-4832
- Pine Stone Golf at Timberlane Lodge (218) 732-8489
- Blueberry Pines Golf, Dining and Events Center Near Menagha – (218) 564-4653 Blueberry Pines Golf, Dining and Events Center